Ambassador of Tajikistan calls upon Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources
Islamabad, April 30, 2013 (PPI-OT): Ambassador of Tajikistan, Mr. Sher Ali S. Jononov called upon Mr. Sohail Wajahat Siddiqui, Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources and discussed issues related to Energy and Power sector. Collaboration in Energy sector of Pakistan was the main concern.
2. Tajikistan is the major player in the Oil sector with proven oil reserves of 39.828 billion barrels in 2012. The country has natural gas production of 27.25 billion cubic meters and consumption of 19.77 billion cubic meters making it a net gas exporter.
3. Tajikistan has shown keen interest in investing in Oil and Gas exploration and production sectors of Pakistan. They are keen to bridge over Energy shortfall of Pakistan. They offered to provide 3000 mega watts of electric power. For this purpose, they have offered to construct a 27 kms long transmission line from Tajikistan to Pakistan. They also offered to setup a grid station on Pakistani side.
4. In order to alleviate the shortage of Energy and to meet the future requirements of the country, Mr. Sohail Wajahat Siddiqui stated that Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Resources should be dynamic to meet new challenges.
5. The Honourable Minister, Mr. Sohail Wajahat Siddiqui asked the Tajikistan side to come up with a concept paper so that a Government to Government negotiations may be started. He also stated that the Ministry of Water and Power should be brought on board regarding the said negotiations.
6. The Ambassador thanked the Minister and showed keen interest in keeping up bilateral ties in oil and gas sector.
For more information, contact:
Irfan Ashraf Qazi
Public Relations Officer
Ministry for Petroleum and Natural Resources
Tel: +9251 921 0220 -9206416
Fax: +9251 921 3180