Red Cross warns of mass starvation in Yemen, Somalia
Geneva, (IINA) – There is a window of only three to four months to avert mass starvation in Yemen and Somalia, plagued by conflict and drought, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) warned on Wednesday in an appeal for funding, Reuters reported.
More than 20 million people in four countries – Yemen, Somalia, South Sudan, and northeast Nigeria – face famine.
“We have probably a window of three to four months to avoid a worst case scenario,” ICRC director of operations worldwide Dominik Stillhart told a news briefing.
Robert Mardini, ICRC regional director for the Middle East, said that an ICRC team who provided aid to wounded refugees had collected “evidence” which had been shared with the Saudi-led coalition as well as the Houthi side.
Source: International Islamic News Agency