Skip to Content

Saturday, May 26th, 2018

Higher Education Commission to award 600 doctorate scholarships for students of Balochistan

Be First!

Islamabad, September 13, 2012 (PPI-OT): Higher Education Commission HEC is planning to award 600 Masters leading to PhD scholarships for the natives of Balochistan province. The federal government of Pakistan has recently approved the subject project under the “Aghaz-e-Haqooq-e-Balochistan Package” on 30th August 2012 at a cost of Rs. 3138.692 billion.

The project is focused towards providing opportunities for access to higher education to financially constrained youth of Balochistan, who despite possessing academic merit are unable to continue their further studies. The offered scholarship would cover tuition costs, accommodation and living expenses of the selected candidates.

The project would supplement the efforts of government of Pakistan to focus over human resource development in Pakistan. It would provide incentives to the talented students of Balochistan to achieve excellence in their area of interest and ensure availability of trained man-power for research and development in the country in basic sciences, agriculture, life sciences and engineering and technology, arts, languages and social sciences.

The project would be greatly helpful in covering two important aspects i.e. recognition of merit and ensuring parity at national level which would lead towards national integration, cohesion and strengthening the bonds of fraternity.

Accordingly to the details, 400 Indigenous and 200 overseas scholarships for Masters/ MS leading to PhD studies would be awarded to the natives of the province. Balochistan is comprised of 30 districts and each district would get its share of foreign and Indigenous scholarships on the basis of its population. Furthermore, 25% scholarships have been reserved for in-service government, R and D organizations/faculty members and employees of universities, colleges/ degree awarding Institutes and remaining 75% will be awarded on open merit.

The interesting feature of this scholarship program is its eligibility criteria which will directly target the inhabitants of Balochistan as the candidate must have studied/ obtained at least two certificates/degrees from HEC recognized universities/DAIs located in Balochistan province.

Furthermore, preference would be given to the disciplines mostly related to the economic and social needs of the Balochistan province i.e. mining, petroleum, marine and fisheries and agriculture etc.

The scholars after completing their Ph.D degrees would be required to serve at Balochistan for at least five years so that educational institutions and industry of Balochistan may get maximum benefits from their knowledge and expertise. The project would be advertised soon in leading newspapers of the country.

Since its inception, HEC has paid special attention towards promoting higher education sector in the Balochistan province. The main initiatives include special scholarship schemes for the faculty and youth of Balochistan, establishment of well-equipped HEC regional centre at Quetta, number of universities has been increased from 2 to 7 including first women university of Balochistan and launched special projects for the development of basic infrastructure at higher education institutions of the province including labs, class rooms, seminars rooms, labs, transport facilities, digital libraries, video conferencing facility etc.

HEC has already awarded 1200 scholarships to students of Balochistan project “Provision of Higher Education Opportunities for Balochistan and FATA” during last four years. Under second and new phase of the project, 1300 scholarships would also be awarded to the students of the Balochistan and FATA.

HEC has also arranged foundation course for 684 students of Balochistan at Quetta. To date 66 scholars have completed their studies and among these 7 scholars from Balochistan have shown outstanding performance and have clinched gold medal from leading Universities of country i.e. COMSATS, NUST, GC University Lahore and University of Balochistan.

Under faculty development program, HEC has accorded approval for more than 360 foreign scholarships for the faculty members of seven higher education institutions of the province. Through this innovative initiative, the younger faulty is enhancing their further higher education at the leading universities of academically advanced countries.

For more information, contact:
Aayesha Ikram
Director (Media)
Higher Education Commission
Sector H-9, Islamabad
Tel: 90402404, 90402412
Email: aikram@hec.gov.pk
Website: www.hec.gov.pk

Previous
Next

Leave a Reply