Skip to Content

Curfew, restrictions continued in IHK, today

Be First!

Srinagar, March 07, 2013 (PPI-OT): In occupied Kashmir, curfew and strict restrictions remained enforced in Srinagar and other parts of the Kashmir Valley on the second consecutive day, today, to prevent people from protesting against stepped-up Indian state terrorism in the territory.

Indian paramilitary forces and police personnel, deployed in strength, could be seen patrolling the deserted streets in Srinagar, Baramulla, Sopore, Kulgam, Pulwama, Pampore, Shopian and other areas of the Valley.

However, people defying curfew and restrictions took to the streets and protested against Indian brutalities. Clashes erupted at many places including Battamaloo area of Srinagar today. Scores of people including a woman were injured in the police shelling. The forces barged into many houses, smashed windowpanes and ransacked property. Dozens of youth were arrested by the Indian police over the past few days in the territory.

The APHC Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, in a statement, denounced the continued curfew and restrictions across the Kashmir Valley and said that India under a well-hatched conspiracy was making the lives of the people miserable. He condemned the arrests of Hurriyet leaders and activists including Ghulam Nabi Zaki, the acting General Secretary of Awami Action Committee.

The authorities arrested veteran Hurriyet leader, Syed Ali Gilani immediately after he landed at Srinagar airport, today. He was, later, dropped at his residence and put under house arrest. People thronged residence of the veteran leader to have his glimpse, but police resorted to teargas shelling and baton charge. This prompted them to raise anti-India and pro-freedom slogans.

Syed Ali Gilani, who arrived in Srinagar today, remained confined to one-room in New Delhi for 19 days since February 9, when Muhammad Afzal Guru was secretly executed in Delhi’s Tihar Jail.

Earlier, talking to media men at the airport, Syed Ali Gilani said that the Kashmiris would continue their protest on one point-agenda to seek the bodies of martyred leaders, Muhammad Maqbool Butt and Muhammad Afzal Guru.

Hurriyet leaders including, JKLF Chairman, Muhammad Yasin Malik, Bilal Ghani Lone, Muhammad Yousuf Naqash, Muhammad Azam Inqilabi and Kashmiri leader, Sajjad Ghani Lone condemned the killing of university student, Tahir Ahmad Sofi in indiscriminate firing by Indian troops.

The Jammu and Kashmir Peoples League in a statement denounced the troops’ raid on the residence of APHC leader, Mukhtar Ahmad Waza and harassment of his family members.

Kashmiri leaders of the both sides of the Line of Control held a sit-in outside the United Nations office in Islamabad. A memorandum on behalf of Ghulam Muhammad Safi and Mehmood Ahmad Saghar addressed to the UN General Secretary Ban Ki-moon, was submitted on the occasion, which highlighted the India’s highhandedness in the occupied territory.

For more information, contact:
Kashmir Media Service
Phone: 92-51-4435548, 4435549
Fax: 92-51-4861736


Leave a Reply